Can Turmeric Help with Bladder Cancer?
According to statistics published in 2010, over 71,000 Americans are diagnosed with bladder cancer a year. It also affects significant numbers of people worldwide. (vi.186-187)
Conventional treatment typically begins with surgery. However, many patients also receive postsurgical adjuvant treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation, and/or immunotherapy in order to reduce the risk of cancer recurrence. These adjuvant treatments have known side effects and some have very little effectiveness. (vi.186-187)
Research suggests that the curcumin compounds in turmeric may help prevent bladder cancer from recurring, and could be a replacement for some of these adjuvant treatments. In animal studies curcumin has also been shown to increase the effectiveness of BCG therapy, currently one of the best treatment options for bladder cancer. (vi.187-188)
Types of Bladder Cancer
As the kidneys clean waste from the blood, the liquid part of it is stored in the bladder until urinated out of the body. Located in the lower stomach, the bladder is a hollow, pouch-like, muscular organ that adjusts size to the amount of waste. There are three types of bladder cancer. However, the vast majority of cases are transitional cell carcinomas that begin in the innermost transitional cells of the bladder. (vi.186)
The less common types of bladder cancer are squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. These cancers are associated with chronic infection, inflammation, and irritation in the bladder. (vi.186)
Symptoms of Bladder Cancer
Possible signs of bladder cancer include: (vi.186)
- Blood in the urine
- Painful urination
- Lower back pain
- Frequent urge to urinate
What are the Risk Factors for Bladder Cancer?
Bladder cancer usually affects people between 60-70 years old. The following environmental, lifestyle, and personal health conditions are considered possible risk factors for bladder cancer: (vi.186, 189)
- Smoking cigarettes.
- Ingestion of Aristolochia fangchi (an herb).
- Eating deep-fried potatoes and breads cooked at high temperatures.
- Exposure to environmental toxins, such as coal soot or high levels of arsenic in drinking water.
- Exposure to toxic chemicals related to occupation, such as dry cleaning or manufacturing textiles, paper, or rubber.
- History of bladder or kidney stones.
- History of bladder infections.
- Long-term catheter use.
Turmeric Compounds May Help Prevent and Treat Bladder Cancer
Whole turmeric extracts, its main compound curcumin, and other natural compounds in turmeric have proven antibacterial, detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. Research shows these could counteract some of the risk factors for bladder cancer by:
- Reducing cancer-promoting DNA mutations from cigarette smoke and acrylamides in starchy foods fried at high temperatures. (vi.17, 189)
- Preventing production of free radicals and DNA damage in people exposed to arsenic in groundwater. (vi.162)
- Reducing scar tissue and injury from treatment of kidney stones. (vi.190)
- Helping prevent dangerous struvite kidney stones. (vi.191)
- Stopping the formation of bacteria biofilm on plastic medical devices. (vi.192-193)
Studies suggest that other natural compounds in turmeric could also help treat bladder cancer:
Turmeric Compounds Improve Conventional Therapies
Animal studies suggest that the curcumin compounds in turmeric could significantly increase the effectiveness of conventional therapy for bladder cancer:
CURCUMIN WITH GEMCITABINE
CURCUMIN WITH BACILLUS CALMETTE-GUERIN (BCG) INTRAVESICAL THERAPY
Join the 1000s of People Who Are Discovering the Benefits of Turmeric.
Healthceuticals® Turmeric Curcumin Complex
- Organic Turmeric Extract - standardized to 95% curcuminoids.
- Organic Whole Turmeric - provides full spectrum antioxidant, anti-inflammatory turmeric benefits, including turmerones and numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Organic Black Pepper Extract - standardized to 95% piperine; dramatically enhances bioavailablity.
- Organic Phospholipids - markedly improve absorption.
- Organic Ginger - works synergistically with turmeric to provide more powerful benefits.
- Absolutely FREE of potentially harmful additives and fillers such as magnesium stearate.