Eat Less, Live Longer?
One of the most powerful promoters and causes of unhealthy aging is obesity, a chronic inflammatory condition. Obesity promotes dysfunctional signaling pathways that can lead to other metabolic syndrome conditions — all of which are chronic diseases associated with unhealthy aging. (iii.42, 71)
Lower Calories Reduces Risk of Disease
On the flip side, calorie restriction (CR) is strongly linked to a lower incidence of the chronic diseases associated with aging. In fact, animal studies suggest CR could even help reduce inflammation in breast tissue caused by obesity. So how low do you have to go to achieve the anti-aging benefits of low-calorie dieting? (iii.70, 76)
CR Diet Guidelines
Researchers suggest CR means eating a healthy diet with anywhere from 30-40% less calories than typical diet guidelines. Population studies show that people who average between 1600-2000 calories a day also have lower rates of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases than those who consume 2500-3000 calories. However, recently published animal studies indicate that the benefits of CR are lost unless the diet is continued. (iii.71, 73-74, 76, 78)
Calorie Restriction May Not Be a Good Choice for Everyone
There are some negatives to calorie restriction. These include: (iii.79)
- ↓ Testosterone in men, which can cause:
- ↓ Sex drive
- ↓ Muscle mass
- ↓ Bone density
- ↓ Quality of life
- ↑ Infections (in theory)
Calorie Restriction Mimetics (CRMs)
For those who can't commit to CR for health or personal reasons, there may be another solution. Researchers have already identified natural and pharmaceutical compounds that mimic the anti-aging effects of CR. These compounds are referred to as calorie restriction mimetics, or CRMs. Not surprisingly, some of these include drugs used to treat chronic conditions associated with aging (such as diabetes). (iii.70, 72)
Join the 1000s of People Who Are Discovering the Benefits of Turmeric.
Healthceuticals® Turmeric Curcumin Complex
- Organic Turmeric Extract - standardized to 95% curcuminoids.
- Organic Whole Turmeric - provides full spectrum antioxidant, anti-inflammatory turmeric benefits, including turmerones and numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Organic Black Pepper Extract - standardized to 95% piperine; dramatically enhances bioavailablity.
- Organic Phospholipids - markedly improve absorption.
- Organic Ginger - works synergistically with turmeric to provide more powerful benefits.
- Absolutely FREE of potentially harmful additives and fillers such as magnesium stearate.