Turmeric Can Help Get Rid of Pimples
Can a spice really help prevent and treat pimples? According to traditional and modern medicines, turmeric is a spice that may do just that. Turmeric is a common ingredient in traditional Ayurvedic and homemade formulas to treat acne. And now medical research confirms that turmeric compounds have a number of acne-fighting compounds. Turmeric's anti-acne activities and properties help: (xi.6)
Turmeric's multifaceted approach may actually be more beneficial than traditional retinoids because of its anti-inflammatory effects. And even though systemic antibiotics kill bacteria and suppress inflammation, turmeric may offer advantages over these conventional drugs as well. In fact, experts actually recommend avoiding antibiotics except for the most severe cases of acne. That's because of growing bacterial resistance to conventional antibiotics taken orally — especially when used for longer than 6 months. (xi.6-7)
What Causes Pimples?
Anyone can get pimples — not only teenagers. There are many factors that play a role in causing the troublesome lesions: (xi.6-11)
- Hormones (e.g., androgens, estrogen, insulin, growth hormone, cortisol, and CRH).
- Endocrine disorders (e.g., polycystic ovarian syndrome and Cushing syndrome).
- Stress (which increases levels of cortisol and other hormones).
- Genetics (some hereditary syndromes such as PAPA syndrome are associated with acne).
- Diet (e.g., high glycemic load foods and milk).
- Free radicals.
Regardless of cause, there are four primary processes involved in acne: (xi.9)
- Increased production of sebum — the natural oils produced in skin glands.
- Formation of comedones, or clogged pores.
- Excess microbial bacteria — especially Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes).
How Can Turmeric Help?
- Inhibits P. acnes.
- Blocks inflammatory proteins and free radicals involved in inflammation.
- Reduces levels of cell cycle proteins that promote clogged pores.
|TURMERIC FORM OR COMPOUND||WHAT IT DOES|
Turmeric Extract combined with Tea Tree Oil
Turmeric contains many of the same plant compounds as the essential oil from Melaleuca alternifolia leaves. These include 1,8-cineole, terpinolene, ρ-cymene, α-pinene, and α-terpineol. The combination cream inhibited Propionibacterium acne, the bacteria that can cause pimples. (xi.6, 12-15)
Turmeric Combined with Other Botanical Extracts
Face Wash Gel
In a clinical study, effectively helped inhibit acne. (xi.16)
Turmeric Combined with Isotretinoin
Results of a clinical trial involving 106 patients with moderate to severe acne showed turmeric improved isotretinoin's effectiveness. Isotretinoin and a sulfur lotion was 80% effective, while the isotretinoin and turmeric treatment was over 91% effective. Almost 68% of patients in the turmeric group were cured after 8 weeks of treatment, compared to 52% in the isotretinoin and sulfur lotion. (xi.17)
Beneficial Nutrients in Turmeric Have Anti-Acne Effects
Turmeric contains alpha linolenic acid (ALA) and linoleic acid. Studies suggest that essential fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties in the skin, which can help reduce acne. ALA also shows antibacterial activity against P. acnes. Some research indicates that vitamin E, a nutrient in turmeric, may be necessary to maintain beneficial levels of the vitamin A-derived acne drug isotretinoin. (xi.11, 13, 18-20)
Other flavonoids, polyphenols, and plant compounds found in turmeric's rhizome and leaf that are reported to have anti-acne effects include:
Both α-pinene and α-terpineol show antibacterial activity against P. acnes. (xi.21)
Join the 1000s of People Who Are Discovering the Benefits of Turmeric.
Healthceuticals® Turmeric Curcumin Complex
- Organic Turmeric Extract - standardized to 95% curcuminoids.
- Organic Whole Turmeric - provides full spectrum antioxidant, anti-inflammatory turmeric benefits, including turmerones and numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Organic Black Pepper Extract - standardized to 95% piperine; dramatically enhances bioavailablity.
- Organic Phospholipids - markedly improve absorption.
- Organic Ginger - works synergistically with turmeric to provide more powerful benefits.
- Absolutely FREE of potentially harmful additives and fillers such as magnesium stearate.