Turmeric Supports Prostate Health
The prostate is a small reproductive gland in males. In adult men, the prostate is normally the size of a walnut. (x.105)
An enlarged prostate is a common finding in many (almost 50%) of men over age 45. Technically known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH, prostate enlargement is thought to be caused by changing hormone levels associated with aging. (x.105)
Causes of BPH
Low testosterone levels are not the only cause BPH. More importantly it's an imbalance of testosterone, DHT, and estrogen hormones that can lead to prostate enlargement. Although BPH may not initially cause symptoms, as the normally walnut-sized gland grows it presses on the urethra and kidneys. (x.105)
The result is increased, but less effective, urination. If the prostate grows even larger, the bladder may not be able to empty itself which can cause more serious problems such as kidney and bladder infections. (x.105)
How Can Turmeric Help BPH?
Conventional treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia includes 1 mg/day of finasteride. Unfortunately the synthetic enzyme blocker also comes with the potential for serious negative side effects, including: (x.108)
A Safe Alternative to Finasteride?
Research suggests that crude extracts of turmeric can help balance DHT levels by inhibiting 5α-reductase. This is the same way that drugs used to treat conditions caused by too much DHT (such as finasteride) work. (x.108)
A recent study determined that every gram of turmeric can block the same amount of 5α-reductase as almost 14 mg of finasteride. Since finasteride is normally prescribed in doses of 1-5 mg/day, turmeric could certainly be a safer, natural alternative for treating DHT-related conditions. (x.108)
Turmeric's curcumin compounds also inhibit 5α-reductase. In addition, research suggests that turmeric's borneol and camphor compounds may be useful in treating benign prostate hyperplasia. (x.31, 88, 109-110)
Join the 1000s of People Who Are Discovering the Benefits of Turmeric.
Healthceuticals® Turmeric Curcumin Complex
- Organic Turmeric Extract - standardized to 95% curcuminoids.
- Organic Whole Turmeric - provides full spectrum antioxidant, anti-inflammatory turmeric benefits, including turmerones and numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Organic Black Pepper Extract - standardized to 95% piperine; dramatically enhances bioavailablity.
- Organic Phospholipids - markedly improve absorption.
- Organic Ginger - works synergistically with turmeric to provide more powerful benefits.
- Absolutely FREE of potentially harmful additives and fillers such as magnesium stearate.