Natural Prevention and Treatment for Chronic Kidney Disease
Better with Boswellia serrata? Maybe Not
Results of a clinical study in patients with chronic kidney disease suggest that taking turmeric's curcumin compounds with frankincense may not have any benefit in lowering inflammation. (vii.264)
Chronic kidney disease is a growing concern worldwide. A number of conditions can contribute to chronic kidney disease. These include acute kidney injury from toxins and certain drugs as well as chronic inflammatory conditions such as diabetes. Progression can lead to end-stage renal disease and cause kidneys to fail. (vii.263)
How Can Turmeric Help?
Research suggests that turmeric's curcumin compounds may help prevent the development or progression of chronic kidney disease. In addition, curcumin helps protect the heart from the negative effects of chronic kidney disease. (vii.197, 265)
|ORGAN AFFECTED IN KIDNEY DISEASE||TURMERIC/TURMERIC COMPOUND EFFECTS|
In these studies, the animals were given daily oral curcumin doses of 60 mg/kg of body weight. Lower doses of 15-30 mg/kg of body weight have been shown to be ineffective in Wistar rat models of chronic kidney disease and failure. (vii.197)
Effects in Late-Stage Disease
In animal models of late-stage chronic kidney disease, curcumin significantly reduced dangerous inflammatory proteins and cytokines. 75 mg/kg of curcumin a day for 10 weeks showed comparable effects to the ACE inhibitor drug enalapril. (vii.266)
ACE inhibitors can help inhibit kidney failure. Turmeric has plenty of them, including:
- Alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid) (vii.18, 239)
- Alpha-terpineol (vii.20, 48, 209)
- Curcumin (vii.233)
- Ferulic acid (vii.47-48, 213)
- Gamma-terpinene (vii.48)
- Niacin (vii.29, 58)
- Resveratrol (vii.27, 239)
Besides curcumin, many of turmeric's other compounds also inhibit COX-2 and TNF-α; (including some of those above). These are the same inflammatory proteins curcumin and enalapril blocked in this study. (vii.20-22, 29, 45, 49)
Turmeric Compounds Reduce Risk of Organ Rejection
Kidney transplants are at risk for ischemia-reperfusion injury. What does that mean? In essence, it's a two-phase injury: (vii.7)
- Ischemia is cell and tissue injury that happens when blood flow is restricted, causing a loss of oxygen and nutrients.
- Reperfusion occurs when blood flow returns to the area of the body where it was restricted. Although necessary, initially it can actually cause more damage. This is because the sudden influx of oxygen molecules in the blood initiates inflammatory responses and stimulates free radical formation.
In the case of a kidney transplant, this can also increase the risk of organ rejection. In animal and clinical studies, treatment with turmeric's curcumin compounds show benefits that could decrease cell death and injury after kidney transplant: (vii.267)
|TYPE OF STUDY||STUDY DETAILS||TAKE AWAY POINT|
Randomized Clinical Trial
480-960 mg/day of Curcumin
20-40 mg/day of Quercetin
(for one month following- kidney transplant surgery)
Turmeric's curcumin and quercetin compounds can help improve outcomes following kidney transplants.
Measured effectiveness against negative side effects from immunosuppressant drug cyclosporin A. (vii.263)
Cyclosporin A is used to help prevent organ rejection after transplant surgery, but it causes kidney damage and dysfunction. Treatment with curcumin reduced these side effects by: (vii.263)
Measured effectiveness of liposomal curcumin in an animal model of renal ischemia-reperfusion. (vii.267)
Join the 1000s of People Who Are Discovering the Benefits of Turmeric.
Healthceuticals® Turmeric Curcumin Complex
- Organic Turmeric Extract - standardized to 95% curcuminoids.
- Organic Whole Turmeric - provides full spectrum antioxidant, anti-inflammatory turmeric benefits, including turmerones and numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Organic Black Pepper Extract - standardized to 95% piperine; dramatically enhances bioavailablity.
- Organic Phospholipids - markedly improve absorption.
- Organic Ginger - works synergistically with turmeric to provide more powerful benefits.
- Absolutely FREE of potentially harmful additives and fillers such as magnesium stearate.