Turmeric Compounds May Relieve Asthma Symptoms
|LUNG CONDITION||TURMERIC COMPOUND(S) AND TYPE OF STUDY|
CURCUMIN AND 1,8-CINEOLE
Animal and Human Clinical Trials
Animal studies suggest that turmeric's curcumin compounds may be able to help prevent and treat asthma symptoms caused by allergies. Some examples include:
Reduces Asthma Drug Side Effects
Turmeric compounds could also help reduce risk of fungal yeast infection in people with asthma. Thrush is one of the side effects of conventional drug treatment for chronic asthma. In an animal study, mice given curcumin alone or in combination with the dexamethasone derivative had lower levels of the yeast that causes thrush. Curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects were similar to the drug as well. (v.109, 217)
Clinical Research in Asthma Patients
Results from clinical studies using turmeric or its curcumin compounds in patients with asthma have been mixed:
Although curcumin supplements alone did not reduce symptoms, the doctors in that clinical trial suggested higher doses or taking a form with improved bioavailability could prove beneficial. They also noted that a larger study involving more patients might also be helpful. Other researchers indicate that a clinical study in humans showed turmeric provided relief from bronchial asthma symptoms, including cough. (v.184, 218)
Clinical trials in asthma patients show that 1,8-cineole, another compound in turmeric, helps stabilize asthma better than placebo. Patients taking 1,8-cineole reduced oral steroid use by an average of 36% while still controlling asthma symptoms. (v.155)
How Does it Work?
Join the 1000s of People Who Are Discovering the Benefits of Turmeric.
Healthceuticals® Turmeric Curcumin Complex
- Organic Turmeric Extract - standardized to 95% curcuminoids.
- Organic Whole Turmeric - provides full spectrum antioxidant, anti-inflammatory turmeric benefits, including turmerones and numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Organic Black Pepper Extract - standardized to 95% piperine; dramatically enhances bioavailablity.
- Organic Phospholipids - markedly improve absorption.
- Organic Ginger - works synergistically with turmeric to provide more powerful benefits.
- Absolutely FREE of potentially harmful additives and fillers such as magnesium stearate.