Caution: Pure Curcumin Could Make Salmonella More Infectious
If you take curcumin supplements, some researchers suggest you might want to skip it when there's a salmonella outbreak. Some lab studies indicate that curcumin has antibacterial effects against salmonella. However, others show it protects salmonella from UV radiation damage. (v.68)
According to one study using an animal model for salmonella infection, curcumin could also make one type of salmonella more likely to cause disease. The salmonella strain tested with curcumin causes stomach flu in humans and typhoid-like fever in mice. (v.68)
In the study, curcumin increased salmonella's resistance to natural antimicrobial enzymes in the body. As a result, the mice injected with curcumin-treated salmonella died sooner than those injected with untreated salmonella. (v.68)
Take Turmeric Extracts Instead for Salmonella
In the event of a salmonella outbreak, taking whole herb turmeric extracts instead could be a better option. Lab studies demonstrate turmeric extract can completely inhibit S. typhimurium (the pathogen that causes salmonella) by itself. Turmeric works even better when combined with fermented vinegar. (v.63-64, 89)
What's the Difference?
There are hundreds of compounds in turmeric, but the most well-studied for turmeric are its curcumin pigments. However, the main compounds in turmeric's essential oil are not curcuminoids. Instead, turmeric essential oil is high in beneficial antioxidants curlone and turmerone compounds. Turmeric essential oil also contains other helpful plant compounds. These include: (v.27, 67, 73-75, 78, 98)
In lab studies, all of these compounds inhibited S. typhimurium and S. enteritidis. In fact, they worked almost as well or much better than the antibiotic streptomycin on this strain of salmonella. (v.27, 67, 73-75, 78, 98)
What Kind of Turmeric Extract Works?
Method of extraction also matters in terms of beneficial compounds. Crude turmeric extracts obtained using ethanol without heat and over a period of days rather than hours substantially increases turmerone content. (v.63, 89)
Join the 1000s of People Who Are Discovering the Benefits of Turmeric.
Healthceuticals® Turmeric Curcumin Complex
- Organic Turmeric Extract - standardized to 95% curcuminoids.
- Organic Whole Turmeric - provides full spectrum antioxidant, anti-inflammatory turmeric benefits, including turmerones and numerous vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Organic Black Pepper Extract - standardized to 95% piperine; dramatically enhances bioavailablity.
- Organic Phospholipids - markedly improve absorption.
- Organic Ginger - works synergistically with turmeric to provide more powerful benefits.
- Absolutely FREE of potentially harmful additives and fillers such as magnesium stearate.